Vision Stakeholder Meeting
Next Meeting: November 17, 2015, from 9:30a.m. to 2:00p.m. at NCECBVI.
Vision Stakeholder Team
During 1997, the Nebraska Department of Education conducted a study of vision services in Nebraska. A committee, made up of stakeholders, was selected to review current services and develop a new state plan for statewide vision services. This state plan was approved by the Nebraska State Board of Education in December, 1998.
In 2004, the original stakeholders were invited back to NCECBVI to review the state plan and make any revisions needed to meet current needs. The revised state plan was approved by the Nebraska State Board of Education in September, 2004.
The Nebraska Center for the Education of Children Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired (NCECBVI) and the Nebraska Department of Education will now gather input on a regular basis regarding the programs and services for children with visual impairments in Nebraska through the Vision Stakeholder Team.
NCECBVI, in collaboration with the Nebraska Department of Education and the Educational Service Unit No. 4, is charged with the task of implementing the state plan and specialized services statewide for children, families, educators, administrators and related service providers. The purpose of the Vision Stakeholder Team is to provide input on the services offered by NCECBVI.
The Vision Stakeholder Team members will provide input for NCECBVI, NDE and ESU No. 4 on the following:
- The development of the long range plan for service
- The delivery of quality and appropriate services for children with visual impairment
- Current research and trends in the field of visual impairments
- Policy matters impacting the education of children with visual impairments
- The evaluation of the impact of NCECBVI services
- Current statewide initiatives, programs and services related to blindness and special education
The Vision Stakeholder Team will meet annually in the fall at NCECBVI in Nebraska City. Dormitory housing will be provided at no cost upon request.
The original stakeholder group who developed the state plan will be used as a framework in the development of the Vision Stakeholder Team. Team members will be invited to participate on this team. Team members will represent various roles as well as various sizes of school districts/educational services unit and various regions/areas of Nebraska. Team members will be eligible for expenses incurred in meeting attendance. The Vision Stakeholder Team will include representation from the following:
- School Administrators/Special Education Directors
- Teachers of the Visually Impaired/Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialists
- University Teacher Training Program
- Other state agencies or organizations involved in delivering related services to children with disabilities
- Technical Resources to include NDE, ESU No. 4, and NCECBVI representatives